Monday, August 2, 2010

So, it turns out I'm a YA writer

A couple of weeks before I attended MWW, I realized that I just might be a YA writer. I suppose it should not have come as such a shock, but in the interest of total disclosure, it did. As a result of this late breaking ephinany, it is clear that I am behind in my YA reading. In fact, with the rare exceptions of a few YA books I've read in the last year or so, I have to admit the truth: I really don't know the genre very well. When people start rattling off their fave YA authors, I have to do the raised eyebrow, "yes, I totally agree with you" head bob and make a mental note to hit the bookstore on the way home. Now that I have embraced the YA writer in me, I'm actually excited to start working my way through the racks.

This morning I picked up The Hunger Games by Suzane Collings and the first book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. The Hunger Games was a no-brainer. I'm pretty sure I was the only person at the conference who hadn't read it. (Maybe a slight overstatement, but not by much.) Plus, I'm actually really interested in dystopian fiction. The Vampire Academy pick is an effort to know more about what is going on in my particular sub-genre of YA. It's hard to compare your work to something when you haven't read it. Plus, every author I talked to repeated the same advice when looking for an agent... find a writer you really like and find out who represents them... so the hunt is on! Wish me luck, and I'll report back when I come across something incredible!

Until then, be bold!

No comments:

Post a Comment