Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hunger Games... wow...

I know I should have spent this evening editing. I know that, but I made the horrible mistake of starting The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins this afternoon and I could not put it down. Now, I have to admit, it took a couple chapters for me to get into it, but once I did, I was hooked.
If you haven't read this book, put it on your to-do-list. I can't think of a single genre that doesn't at least get a nod. It's a thriller, it's dystopian, it's got some fantasy elements towards the end, there's romance. Seriously, this book will remind you how lucky we are to live in a pre-apocalyptic world! But even more than that, I think it's a warning of how close we are to crossing lines of human dignity.

What am I talking about? Hmm... 10, 15 years ago, you would never see a white cloth draped bloody body on the 6 o'clock news. Games that test our commitment to our partners or force of to betray and back stab our closest friends weren't considered entertainment. I wonder, in another 10 or 15 years, what the future will say about our programming. Will they say it's calm and bland or, and I hope this is true, will they say that while some programming is appropriate, for the most part, we sunk too low for words.

Sometimes, doing something brash isn't the same as being bold. Be bold!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the Twitter follow. I read the Hunger Games trilogy last week - have you read the other two books? They were incredible. Just as addicting as the first one, and worth the time. :)

    (@olsonkayla)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Habbit earn money play bazaar Food and dinner can make you best tip, kirana beverages are helping to Pepsicosatta king Nice One and good game.

    ReplyDelete