Friday, April 13, 2012

#NESCBWI Practice Elevator Pitch

Hello Fellow Writers!

Next week, I'll be attending the New England SCBWI Regional Conference and I'm excited to have the chance to learn from some of the best in the business, rub elbows with my favorite writers like Sara Zarr and A.C. Gaughen, to name two, and be surrounded by people who love books as much as I do!

I'm also excited to have a chance to talk about the new book. And, as every conference goer knows, the perfect elevator pitch is key. So, I submit to you my elevator pitch for The ACADA Chronicles. Let me know if it catches your attention or what you would suggest to make it better. Any and all comments will be appreciated... though some may take a day or two to get there! ;) Thanks in advance for your help and if you're going to the conference, I'll be the red head from Indiana!

The wind up and the pitch:

I have a completed 85,000 word YA thriller with a “pre-dystopian” slant titled The ACADA Chronicles about Emily Tate, a 16 year old high school student who, after surviving a cataclysmic world-wide outbreak, finds herself working on a genetics project that has far reaching political and moral implications.

When her mother is murdered, Emily discovers her assignment is part of a sinister plot of enslavement and world domination. She must find a way to protect the one thing that could alter the bleak future, even if it could ruin the new life she’s worked so hard to create.

2 comments:

  1. Emily Tate, a 16 year old high school student who, after surviving a cataclysmic world-wide outbreak, finds herself working on a genetics project that has far reaching political and moral implications.
    This is intriguing but doesn't give me enough specifics. Even the phrases "enslavement and world domination" isn't specific enough for my liking. You are using charged and powerful words but I want to know more about the specifics of the story.
    Hope that's helpful!
    -Sashi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sashi! I took a whack at it again and got some great details in. I'm actually pretty excited about the changes. Now to get the rewrite done so I can take the new query out for a spin! Happy writing... looking forward to seeing your name on the spine of a book!

    ReplyDelete