Monday, November 15, 2010

My first

In addition to being a writer, I'm also a mom. And for the first time, one of my children gets to go to the book fair at school. And I, for one, am so excited. I've always been an avid reader, but I think my love affair with the printed page really blossomed during my class's trip to the make shift book store in the auditorium during first grade. I was able to browse through the metal shelving units and find just the right books to open my mind and expand my universe. I still remember the first book I bought at the fair: "My Mother the Witch". (It looks like my affinity for the supernatural has been a long time coming.)


I think my kids are well on the path to becoming a reader like their mom. Story time before bed is the only chance I have to get the kiddos to sit still for more than five minutes at a time and they willingly turn off the TV for a chance to immerse themselves in the tales of the Berenstein Bears or Curious George. They particularly enjoy Curious George because, like him, they are very curious about the world around them and often find their exploration lands them in time out, or at least earns them a swift finger waggling and a stern glare. They love to read back to me, and I have to admit that I’m not always the most patient when this happens… normally because it’s well after the time they are supposed to be snoozing in their beds.

Regardless, I’m excited to see what books my son will select and if his eyes light up at the sight of the infinite (at least to a 5 year old) number of possibilities. I can’t wait to snuggle under the covers and read about Toad’s Wild Ride or some other misadventure of another character and listen to him laugh at the words or pictures that tickle his imagination. And when I’m finished reading, I will remember that the delight of stories doesn’t come from reading every word perfectly on the page. It comes from being a part of the story and letting the experiences be yours, if only for a short while. So if you have a chance, read to a child… it’s an activity that is likely to bring giggles to them and to you. And don’t forget to be bold, dear reader! Be BOLD!

1 comment:

  1. Good Habbit earn money play bazaar Food and dinner can make you best tip, kirana beverages are helping to Pepsicosatta king Nice One and good game.

    ReplyDelete